Sunday, December 6, 2009

Thoughts on prayer

This article that I read on this blog got me thinking about prayer.

An old theist friend of mine explained prayers to me this way. You can pray to God to provide you with whatever you want but you still have to go out and get it. He will provide guidance, show you clues, or whatever. But you still need to go out and do the work. No one is going to knock on your door and say "God sent me. Here's a sweet job and food for your kids" you still need to work at it.

As the fairy tale goes, God kicked Adam and Eve out of the garden of Eden. No longer in paradise, they had to work and toil to survive. Your Magic Sky God will not hand you anything.
Praying to God so he can give you everything you want while you sit on your ass is just laziness.
I'm no theologian, but it seems pretty obvious to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment