Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Birthday Thoughts

It was my birthday last week. I received more birthday greetings on Facebook then birthday cards. I got cards. Last year I received about 10. Is this a product of our email happy/ let's just announce everything on Facebook society?
I'm going to say yes.
Last year a friend of mine lost her husband overseas in Iraq. Almost overnight a Facebook page was built and it had 5000 + "friends". I'm willing to bet less then 1/2 of 1% of those people sent a card or flowers to the widow. Most wrote a quick condolence on her wall and probably thought they did a good thing.
I live in another part of the country so I was unable to attend the funeral service but I did send a card and mad a donation to a Veterans Charity the widow suggested.
I think it's a sad statement about society today that we can only bring ourselves to write a quick greeting on a website rather then pick up a phone and talk to someone.

Maybe I'm old fashioned

No comments:

Post a Comment